Saturday, February 14, 2015

Dear Snowbirds...


We creatures that stay up north are a hardy type, a bit sullen, and certainly a bit rounder than the lithe snowbirds who need not consider insulation. Life with horses in the Northeast is hard.  It's mid-February; days are getting longer but tempers are getting shorter.  We lament the frozen water spigots, curse the dust in the arena, and dread the snow falling from the arena roof. The holidays have come and gone, spring is months away, and a high above zero is cause for celebration. Social media bombards us with images of Wellington, Ocala, and the Carolinas.  Other people, worlds removed from frozen buckets and sheets of ice, are having fun.
To those having fun down south, I say: Enjoy the bling on your helmet; I have frost on my eyelashes and a fire lit under my ass.  I ride everyday, and I will be ready for show season.  You have sandy beaches and beautifully groomed outdoor arenas to ride on, but we also have lovely white granular material, and ours is easier to get out of our breeches when we fall off.  You have a fancy show coat? Well, I am wearing THREE coats!  I don't begrudge you snowbirds the opportunity to enjoy the winter without struggle, but we in the north must make the winter our teacher, and our friend.
Life in the Northeast tests us; it offers us something that money can't buy. To all the northern riders, I say: Embrace the lessons of winter; the best teacher is the toughest teacher. Get enough clothes and get outside everyday. Ride, snowshoe, ski. And in the spring, reap the rewards. You will be tougher, mentally and physically, from struggling through the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment